Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

On 5 Nov 2002 at 10:10, John Zulauf wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 05 Nov 2002 10:10:09 -0700
From:           	"John Zulauf" <johnzu@ia.nsc.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] A TPM without use limitations -- thoughts?

> Joshua Stratton wrote:
>

> > Actually, what this tells me is that I should go out and record some
> > totally original songs that to the extent possible without running afoul
> > of trademarks, have the same names as whatever it is those kids with their
> > rock and roll listen to these days. Then get registered copyrights on them.
> > Then make some mp3s of them.
> >
> > As soon as the RIAA downloads them, sue them for copyright infringement
> > with the 17 USC 504 statutory damages.
> >
> > Remember -- merely copying the work would be infringement. Maybe a very
> > unusual fair use, but still infringement.
>
> Only if you don't put them on a public P2P node or website.  Even the
> ??AA would agree that if they leave a pile of CD's or DVD's on a street
> corner with a sign "free to the public" that isn't piracy, theft, or
> infringement.

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! THis is intellectual property. That's superior to real property
and so needs more protection, less regulation, and more latitude for
enforcement outside legal channels. How DAR you suggest otherwise...

;-)

<mirth aside>

> OT: Have you followed the Disney struggle for control of the Pooh
> rights?  Hoist on their own CTEA petard.  Maybe at some point Disney
> will come to it's senses and realize that a strong public domain is in
> their self-interest.  They are the poster child for "value added
> unauthorized derivatives" (imagine the Hugo heirs point of view on the
> happy ending Disney added to "Hunchback").  What they fail to realize is
> that they are in the best position (relative to many media companies) to
> compete (a) against past works, even their own and (b) against other new
> works.  A shorter copyright would probably improve their position
> relative to their industry.  Ah well, nobody asked me to run Disney yet.

Me neither....but I'd hate the commute if they did but for a big enough golden
parachute I'd be willing to forgoe high technology and work on studio issues
(and I could buy that Agilent vector signal analyzer that I've been wanting to
buy if I win the lottery..it's a lot cooler than the scalar network analyzer I
have in may garage right now...can't get the manuals or the cables for it.)

THey are into Having C O N T R O L vs B E I N G in Control