International implications of the DMCA (was Re: [dvd-discuss] Inexplicable)

While it is true that the DMCA does not apply in China or Germany, or in
Russia for that matter, the DMCA reflects some of the differences
between the way some in the United States view intellectual property and
the way it is  viewed in other nations.  The international implications
of the DMCA clearly can be seen in the Skylarov case, because Russia
should not be governed by the DMCA either... yet thanks to a paranoid
response by Adobe Software due to the disclosure of a poor
copy-protection scheme,

[which they should have been happy had been disclosed so it could be
improved, thereby decreasing Adobe's liability for potential cracking
episodes...]

  we now have a case where international computer security experts are
afraid to share information in the United States for fear of a similar
reaction.  This is actually worse than when the RSA algorithm could not
be exported, and results in the same problem... the U.S.A. will be left
behind in the development of further encryption and security
technologies, because as the rest of the world shares information while
we try to prosecute those who share information, we are going to fall
farther and farther behind the intelligence curve.

To my mind this issue is at the heart of why DVD's should not have
region codes.  In an attempt to prevent the piracy of DVD's, the
industry has criminalized many legitimate uses of the media.  For
example, if Skylarov had enabled deaf people to read their e-books on
the Linux operating system, how would that have hurt the sales of
e-books?  The reality is that it probably would have helped popularize
them and speed up their adoption.  Instead, Adobe suffers a massive PR
failure among programmers and loses credibility while others migrate to
open formats other than .PDF.   The lesson I get from this is that the
very same thing may happen to the DVD industry if they continue to
restrict fair use in their attempt to protect intellectual property.
It also closes the export market to nations where MS-Windows has not
been or will not be adopted for security reasons, thereby decreasing
potential profits.