Re: [dvd-discuss] Sklyarov denied Visa to return to US for trial.

On 17 Oct 2002 at 10:36, Tom wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:36:12 +0200
From:           	Tom <tom@lemuria.org>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Sklyarov denied Visa to return to US for trial.

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 07:00:27PM -0400, noah silva wrote:
> > > On a more serious note: Doing away with the idiotic concept of
> > > "intellectual property" is almost certainly more important. Terrorism
> > > kills a few thousand people in a good year, the patents on HIV drugs
> > > alone kill several times that.
> > >

> > Sorry, but not treating someone is not the same as killing someone.
> > Just as me keeping a secret from you is not the same as lying to you.  I
> > don't think the concept of intellectual property is "idiotic", just the
> > current laws in place that deal with it.
>
> Actually, letting someone die when it would have been possible and
> acceptable (as in: not putting you in danger) to save him or her is
> prosecuted as a killing crime in many jurisdictions. Not exactly
> murder, maybe manslaughter or whatever. You _can_ go to jail for it.
>
> And I _do_ believe that "intellectual property" is a no-such-thing
> affair. Completely made up bullshit. How can you own words? Well, I
> guess that's what you get when you forget that capitalism is an
> economic system, not a culture.

And you can look at the WIPO website about all their concern that nations with
health epidemics may violate intellectual property laws and manufacture
medicines without paying royalties...shame shame....now did anyone notice that
Pres. Bush <I am being respectful. I don't call him that privately> actually
threatened patent infringement if he didn't get the price he wanted on the
multi-million dollar order of Cipro(sp?). Are intellectual property natural or
statutory rights. If you believe the former, then for the state to do it is
evil wicked mean and nasty...but if the latter...the for compelling need , the
state may exercise its right. The point is that states/countries are sovereign
entities.