Re: [dvd-discuss] Re: [OT] Money-where-your-mouth-is department

On 12 Oct 2002 at 23:17, Scott A Crosby wrote:

To:             	microlenz@earthlink.net
Copies to:      	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	[dvd-discuss] Re: [OT] Money-where-your-mouth-is department
From:           	Scott A Crosby <scrosby@cs.rice.edu>
Date sent:      	12 Oct 2002 23:17:31 -0500

> On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 20:03:13 -0700, microlenz@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > Actually the question was if having received unsolicited merchandise
> > in the mail they had any legal obligation to even read the attached
> > shrinkwrap...the law is well established in that matter. Unsolicited
> > merchandise received in the mail is a gift and as such is given
> > without any consideration or negociation. There was never any
> > question that the shinkwrap was invalid a priori. Claims about the
>
> I don't know.. What about this business plan (from 2 months ago)
>    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/08/12/020812opgripe.xml

Check the DVD archives for 12-16August2002. There was a discussion about that.
The bottom line is that their  business plan won't fly. THe doctor is under no
obligation to return the book if he doesn't want it and can do with it as he
chooses. The law is well established that unsolicited merchandise received
through the mail is a gift.