Re: [dvd-discuss] Distribution (Was: Eldred Being Argued Today)

The counter argument there is a historical one - "The Statute of Anne".
The dangers of having a monopoly perform distribution has been well
established. The Founding Fathers would have been well aware of that law
and the circumstances leading up to it even if Congress isn't aware of the
debates of 1909. Now let's take it even farther...what other countries
have had a monopoly on distribution....how does Nazi Germany, Imperialist
Japan, The Soviet Union, East Germany, Maoist China stack up? THis is one
area where the dangers of a monopoly far outweigh the benefits....

Futhermore, the whole "preservation" mantra is total BS. If I get my
directors copy of Buster Keaton's "The General" (Which is not in the
public domain I believe since it was made in 1927), convet the video to
digital and burn it onto a CDR, then the loss of quality from a master
film print  may be negligible and the work has been preserved digitally
and distributed increasing its chances for preservation, distribution.
THere is nothing in the Consitution regarding rights for distributers and
that argument is self serving nonsense.  And that giving distributers
monopoly rights so that they can distribute pristine copies ad infinitum
is Constitutional is so bizarre that one can only hope they advance to the
final rounds of the Darwin Awards forthwith.

"D. C. Sessions" <dvd@lumbercartel.com>
10/09/2002 09:35 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss