Re: [dvd-discuss] [OT] Money-where-your-mouth-is department

microlenz@earthlink.net writes:

: On 10 Oct 2002 at 22:36, Joshua Stratton wrote:
:
: Date sent:      	Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:36:05 -0400 (EDT)
: From:           	Joshua Stratton <cpt@gryphon.auspice.net>
: To:             	DVD-Discuss <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
: Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] [OT] Money-where-your-mouth-is department
: Send reply to:  	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
:
: > Nevertheless, I don't care for the imposition on the first-sale rights of
: > the CD. It's great that noncommercial copying and sharing is permitted,
: > but you might like to resell the original CD sometime, even if you cannot
: > resell the copies from it.
:
: That's a good point. While the Shrink wrap license is an abominiation, going
: the other extreme and using one to allow copying but not sale of personal
: property is also an abomination. If shrinkwrap licenses are odeous then one
: tailored to be less odeous is still odeous.

I think that the clause should be read as limited to forbiding---or, more
exactly, not permitting---the selling of copies of the original disk
and its contents.  It is a true license, giving limited permission and
forbidding nothing.  The first sale doctrine still applies.  And Baen
Books is not going to complain about the sale of the original disk.