Re: [dvd-discuss] O'Connor quoted at USA Today from Eldred oral argument

Bryan Taylor wrote:

> Evidently, Lessig didn't try to link his limited times argument and his first
> amendment argument (reportedly to the great dismay of O'Connor).

Yeah!  I really, really want to understand this, and I
can't.  What is going on here?  Are certain advocates really
afraid of doing First Amendment arguments?  I really don't
understand why Lessig didn't make the play.  I don't get it,
and it p*s me off, to be perfectly frank.  I am *trying* to
keep my frustration in check, on the off chance that this
ploy makes some sense that I don't see.  But I am dumbstruck
by Lessig's tack on this.  Can anybody explain his
reasoning?  I read something that sounded like Souter
specifically tried to elicit a linkage argument from Lessig,
and he stated that the two are separate.

I really am p*d off that we are going to have to wait for
another opportunity to come around on this.  What I wanted
to see was a good First Amendment argument related to the
exclusive rights clause, so we can have something that says
the exclusive rights clause is subordinate to the Frist
Amendment.  So if anybody can, please explain this to me.
Please.

Seth Johnson

--

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.