Re: [dvd-discuss] Distribution (Was: Eldred Being Argued Today)

The Copyright lobby would claim that, on the whole, they are better
positioned to keep works in circulation and argue that it is within
Congress' legislative discretion to accept with that claim. A better
counter argument might be that the Copyright Clause only mentions
"Authors and Inventors" and the Framers clearly had in mind promoting
"the Progress of Science and useful Arts" through new works.

Reading the excerpted transcript in todays New York Times suggests
that the Justices see it that way and would strike down the Sonny
Bono Copyright Extension if they could find a way to distinguish it
from previous extensions, particularly the 1976 one.

Here's one quote the Times attributes to Justice Kennedy:

"I think this is a really important question and, as Justice O'Conner
points out, if we have to ask what is the most plausible explanation
for this rule, to reward existing vested interests or to stimulate
new works, it seems to me that it is probably the former. ... I mean,
we know that."

The Court seems to "get it." I have to wonder if dropping the 2600
appeal was a big mistake.

Arnold Reinhold