Re: [dvd-discuss] O'Connor quoted at USA Today from Eldred oral argument

>On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 10:35, Bryan Taylor wrote:
>
> > I'm really curious to hear what Scalia thought. As a textualist, I
> would hope
> > he would be able to see that allowing one retro-active extension would also
> > allow repeated retro-active extensions which would allow unlimited duration
> > which is facially invalid.

According to several I've heard from who were there, Scalia asked only one
question, highly unusual for him.  (There's been speculation that he held
back because Larry used to clerk for him, but while some Justices are
reticent to question their former clerks, Scalia usually isn't.)  According
to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswire/2002/10/09/rtr745913.html

  Justice Antonin Scalia questioned why Congress needed to include existing
works when it decided to beef up copyright laws. If the idea of copyright
law is to encourage artists to produce new work, why should it also apply
to works created 70 years ago, he asked.

"Why is it inequitable if they get what they're entitled to at the time
they make the work?" Scalia asked.

James S. Tyre                               mailto:jstyre@jstyre.com
Law Offices of James S. Tyre          310-839-4114/310-839-4602(fax)
10736 Jefferson Blvd., #512               Culver City, CA 90230-4969
Co-founder, The Censorware Project             http://censorware.net