Re: [dvd-discuss] SonicBlue working on handheld PersonalVideoPlayer (PVP)

>This is also a perfect example of the counter-productivity of
>DRM/TPM's.  My first choice for content to "rip" would be DVD's. But
>like copy protection (ha!) CD's all the copy protection does is motivate
>the buyer to create a larger market for "circumvention devices" and
>"cracked" content 99 & 44/100% of which will not result in royalties to
>the copyright owner.

It's really quite good. Of course, JackBoots will argue that you are only
licensed to play DVDs in LICENSED players in your OWN home without
skipping the credits before or after the show. And if you want MPEGs of
the movies then you have to wait until Hollywood gets around to putting
them out with the right DRMs which SonicBlue will not be allowed to
license and And that circumvention devices are illegal so the idea of a
market is specious much less how Sonic Blue will Reverse engineer one?

But this is a good example of stimulating the market?and how they simply
want Control?in thinking about it remember the maxim "Power corrupts and
absolute power corrupts absolutely"? Copyright is nearly an absolute
power. Now we have an industry that wants to extend that power ad
infinitum, into areas where they are truly miniscule, dictating the
direction of technology and infrastructure, extending control inside homes
via licensed boxes and trustworthy computing. That's about as corrupt as
you can get?.

>At one point I wrote how copy protected CD's turn paying customer into
>non-paying downloaders.  With the advent of SonicBlue's device (and many
>others to follow) DVD CSS and Macrovision will work in exactly the same
>way.
>
>The really funny part about this was that when I explained how copy
>protected CD's where counter productive to a Sr VP for IP at a MPAA
>member (we were presenting on the same panel) he said "those audio guys
>are really out to lunch" -- but he couldn't see how his situation was
>analogous.  (Ironically, the IP VP was a HUGE Napster user at the time,
>whereas I *never* used Napster -- not even once.)

HeHe?the fire calling the kettle black..What a total hypocrite! Power
corrupts?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2002-10-07-sonicblue-video_x.htm