Re: [dvd-discuss] DVD Editing

Note that this notion of "moral rights" is what the WIPO
Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) is all about.  It
takes the concept of moral rights from countries like
France, and uses it to mandate DRM at the international
level.  It enumerates a right of attribution, which makes
sense; but then it combines the notion of a right of
"integrity" with a provision requiring that DRM metadata be
enforced.

Note that this treaty went into effect only this past May
20th, on the strength of a required complement of 30
signatures, including only the US, Japan, and 28 other
less-dominant nations.  None of the big Western European
nations signed, including those that are the supposed models
for this notion of moral rights.

A "right of integrity" coupled with mandated support for DRM
(as you find laid out in the WPPT) is a far cry from a
reasonable view of the rights of the public in information
technology, and is a long stretch from what traditional
"moral rights" meant before the digital age.

The basic problem with this thrust is that it puts the
creators before the rights of the public.  While some see
this as an "individual authors versus publishers" issue, the
content industries have only been too glad to use the
analysis to help them rationalize even more draconian
notions and transition themselves into a new era in which
the public's (and all information producers'!) inalienable
right to use information is ratified and instrumentalized
out of existence, all supposedly for the sake of the
creators.

Who do we think will modulate the inevitable, ludicrous
future debates about where supposed "moral rights" end and
the right to use information freely begin?  Not the
authors.  Not the public.

The truth of the matter is, being able to "go to the source"
will increasingly be recognized as the essential value that
we may accord to the role of authors and of reliable
historical archives.  A respect for an author's attestation
regarding a work's integrity, and recourse to archives are
all that we can ever dream of relying on, once we get past
the idea of trying to sell content that can only be
"consumed" in specific ways.

The WPPT, along with the WIPO Copyright Treaty, which
originally mandated anticircumvention legislation (of which
the DMCA is America's national implementation), and another
failed treaty proposing to cover database data, were all
pursued following on the US Supreme Court's decision in
Feist Publications.  This is to me on of the most fruitful
lines of inquiry in all of the issues areas related to
information freedom.

Seth Johnson

Richard Hartman wrote:

> Absatively, posalutely.
>
> Now ... how do we get them to _see_ that?
>
> Preferably before this cr@p about -mandatory- DRM
> get's passed ...
>
> --
> -Richard M. Hartman
> hartman@onetouch.com
>
> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

Original authorship should be attributed reasonably, but
only so far as such an expectation might hold for usual
practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no
claim of exclusive rights.