RE: [dvd-discuss] DVD Editing

I am not so sure that the artist's work _is_ altered.  After
all, there is the original DVD -- paid for (I hope) by the
viewer -- and it remains unaltered by the process I described.

After First Sale, the viewer has the right to view the material
in whatever way they see fit.

We're on the infamous "slippery slope".  Where would _you_ draw
the line as to the user's rights after first sale?

Can he view the movie :

	on a licensed dedicated DVD player

	on a computer, Windows OS, using licensed CSS decoding software

	on a computer, Linux OS, using unlicensed DeCSS software

	on a computer, with a custom playlist to skip the "naughty bits"

	on a computer, with a custom playlist to re-insert the
		deleted scenes that reside on the same disc

	on a computer with custom software to re-insert the deleted
		scenes when they reside on the second disc of a set

	on a computer with custom software to insert new material
		that resides on a second, separately produced disc

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!