Re: [dvd-discuss] CA Supreme Court hears Pavlovich Jurisdiction Challenge in DVDCCA case

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 06:20  PM, microlenz@earthlink.net
wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2002 at 23:16, D. C. Sessions wrote:
>
> Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] CA Supreme Court hears Pavlovich
> Jurisdiction
> 	Challenge in DVDCCA case
> From:           	"D. C. Sessions" <dcs@lumbercartel.com>
> To:             	DVD-Discuss <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
> Date sent:      	06 Sep 2002 23:16:33 -0700
> Send reply to:  	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
>
>> Bringing the matter back to personal jurisdiction, I'm trying to
>> understand:
>>
>> 1) If the existence of a film industry is sufficient to establish
>>    personal jurisdiction, does this mean that Pavlovich will next
>>    be sued in New York, Florida, etc?
>> 2) If not, why not?  Is California the *only* State which can
>>    exercise personal jurisdiction over movie industry issues?
>
> Why limit it to movies? The purpose of the federal system is to allow
> the
> resolution of disputes that affect multiple states...If one retreats
> from that
> then one is forced into the chaos of state-by-state adjudiction..costly,
> timeconsumimg and counter productive.

Not to play devil's advocate here, but it is possible that California
has enacted much broader protections for trade secrets than the U.S
Congress.

Jeremy