Re: [dvd-discuss] CA Supreme Court hears Pavlovich Jurisdiction Challenge in DVDCCA case

On 6 Sep 2002 at 23:16, D. C. Sessions wrote:

Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] CA Supreme Court hears Pavlovich
Jurisdiction
	Challenge in DVDCCA case
From:           	"D. C. Sessions" <dcs@lumbercartel.com>
To:             	DVD-Discuss <dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Date sent:      	06 Sep 2002 23:16:33 -0700

> Bringing the matter back to personal jurisdiction, I'm trying to
> understand:
>
> 1) If the existence of a film industry is sufficient to establish
>    personal jurisdiction, does this mean that Pavlovich will next
>    be sued in New York, Florida, etc?
> 2) If not, why not?  Is California the *only* State which can
>    exercise personal jurisdiction over movie industry issues?

Why limit it to movies? The purpose of the federal system is to allow the
resolution of disputes that affect multiple states...If one retreats from that
then one is forced into the chaos of state-by-state adjudiction..costly,
timeconsumimg and counter productive.