Re: [dvd-discuss] Geeks in government: A good idea?

microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2002 at 20:06, Lars Gaarden wrote:
>>I have been playing with the thought that it might be possible to
>>stop this crazy extention of copyright scope on a constitutional basis.
>>Does anyone know whether any of the EU countries have something similar
>>to the US copyright clause ("to promote the progress..")?
>
> Is it working in the US of A?

Eldred the Crosspondian is at least trying. Here in EU it doesn't
seem like anyone is even considering the thought of attempting to
fight.

>>At the EU level, you don't really have a constitution. You have the
>>treaties that EU is founded on, and you have the European Convention
>>on Human Rights.
>
> And to read the WIPO website Human Rights are subservient to Copy Rights...

Which they certainly shouldn't be. The trouble with WTO, WIPO and TRIPS
is that they are talking about "Intellectual Property" as if it is just
a trade and economics issue and not a public policy issue.

The AIDS medicine patent issue is the most obvious example of this.

--
LarsG