Re: [dvd-discuss] Geeks in government: A good idea?

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 09:48:22AM +0200, Tom (tom@lemuria.org) wrote:

> correct. While I have to agree on many of Jons points, I'm fairly sure
> on this one: That the DeCSS battle was not won in NY (obviously) and
> neither in California, but on the internet. If you have 15000 download
> locations, what does the opinion of a NY court matter?

Not everyone considers that the most important objective. RedHat doesn't
care that they can download the software. They want to include it in
their distribution. Eric Corley doesn't care that he can download the
software. He wants to make it available himself, as well as telling
others that they can find it elsewhere. If we disregard the CSS issue
for a moment, we're still left with the fact that the Land of the
Free(TM) is preventing one of their citizens from using the <a href>
tag.

Writing code is important, but so is fighting for RedHat's right to
distribute said code.

--
Jon Johansen
nanocrew.net

http://www.eff.org/support/jonfund.html

MR. LEVY:  I'm sorry, your Honor. I actually have a technology expert
  with me. Would the Court like to or would they agree to hear a very
  brief statement on this point from that expert?
THE COURT: No.    -- MPAA v. Reimerdes injunction hearing, 2000/01/21