Re: [dvd-discuss] Geeks in government: A good idea?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:10:31AM -0400, PSYchiccr@aol.com (PSYchiccr@aol.com) wrote:
> Region Free players are in all European stores right now..............

"Now" being the operative word. The "Norwegian Video Association" (which
consists of distributors) have stated that they interpret the EUCD as
outlawing the sale of Region Free players and the sale of non-Region2
DVDs. They have already successfully sued a store which was selling the
Region1 edition of "The Waterboy". The Supreme Court rejected the
store's appeal. It is currently illegal in Norway for a store to sell
the Region1 edition of a DVD for which a Norwegian distributor has
Region2 distribution rights. This is referred to as parallelimport
and is an amendment to Norwegian copyright law introduced by a single
politician in 1993. Despite the Justice Department being critical of the
amendment, it passed. A group of 3 politicians tried to get it removed
in 1997 and 1998. A recent report from the Judicial Faculty at the
University of Oslo concludes that the law has to be revised as soon as
possible.

The problem with the judgement (disregarding that the law itself is a
problem) is that the Region1 edition of a DVD is often very different
from the Region2 edition. If it was the same product, people wouldn't
pay more to get the Region1 edition.

--
Jon Johansen
nanocrew.net

http://www.eff.org/support/jonfund.html

MR. LEVY:  I'm sorry, your Honor. I actually have a technology expert
  with me. Would the Court like to or would they agree to hear a very
  brief statement on this point from that expert?
THE COURT: No.    -- MPAA v. Reimerdes injunction hearing, 2000/01/21