Re: [dvd-discuss] Hack Back

On 9 Aug 2002 at 2:22, Lars Gaarden wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 09 Aug 2002 02:22:01 +0200
From:           	Lars Gaarden <larsg@eurorights.org>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Hack Back

> Michael A Rolenz wrote:
>
> > He disclosed a technique he has developed that
> [...]
>  > launch a counterattack that paralyzes the offending
>  > machine without damaging it.
>
> Either a newscritter is getting it wrong, or this guy has
> invented the TCP/IP equivalent of a stun-gun.
>
> Does anyone have Mr. Mullen's DefCon speech? I assume that
> he is talking about crafting worm-specific 'antibodies'
> that exploit the same hole as the worm, disable the worm
> and close the hole.

HOw about just getting remote access to Norton, McAfee or whomever and doing a
remote scan...of course what he has missed is the fact that the NEXT generation
of bugs will be called predator/prey...having preyed upon your machine, they
will lie in wait for the antibody and disable it or fix the security flaw so
nobody else can get in. Afterall, what's the point of taking control of a
machine if you leave the doors open so someone ELSE can take control. This
sounds more like hype and marketing that computer security. But I'd like to see
the paper but I'll bet it's not as fun as the gummybear fake fingerprints at
cryptome.org