Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

On 5 Aug 2002 at 13:16, Noah silva wrote:

Date sent:      	Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:16:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:           	Noah silva <nsilva@atari-source.com>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Copyright ranges

> Well if you only copyright (register the copyright on...) binary code, I
> think we can assume the source isn't copyrighted, but treated as a
> trade-secret instead.  I think that if you want copyright protection on
> computer code, then you should have to supply the source-code to the
> copyright office.  Why?  Because the point of copyright is that when it
> expires, society is supposed to have the benefits of it, and binary code
> usually isn't so useful after many years.

Which argues that the lifetime of copyright must be reduced considerably for
binary as opposed to source code or literary works. AND there must not be the
protection of copyright for one and the trade secret for the other. As has been
pointed out the purpose is progress....come to think of it...how does giving
copyright to binary promote progress?  My mental processes are fuzzing out on
that one...only a few can decipher it...so that's beneath the notice of the
law...when copyright expires do people say "Oh want a lovely quaint Victorian
style of poet?" or " look at the cellulite on that tacky cherub" No...nobody
really cares. No progress here....I'm beginning to be skeptical of the claims
that software is speech that deserves copyright but not that it is speech that
deserves FA protection.