RE: [dvd-discuss] New DMCA case: ACLU sues filtering software maker N2H2

You have an excellent point.  Where fair use is infringed upon, these
technologies actually
violate the fair use provisions of the copyright law rather than "protect"
it.

This kind of doublespeak seems to abound when these systems are
legislatively mandated.
Ultimately it is the consumer who needs protection from the over-zealous
media
manufacturers who want to prevent users from sharing.   The irony here is
that many of these provisions have the potential to result in the death
of the media they are supposedly protecting.  Consumers are likely
to resent their freedoms being taken away and feel cheated, resulting
in the abandoning of media that otherwise would have held great promise.
DAT tapes are a case in point. They never became a mass medium because the
rules were too restrictive.

The market has a way of punishing those who are too greedy, as proprietary
computer manufacturers learned in the 1980's.