Re: [dvd-discuss] You can go swimming, but....

On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 14:57, Jeremy Erwin wrote:

> How might your argument apply to the GPL? The GNU foundation argues that
> while use of a program does not infringe on copyright, the modification
> and distribution of the programs do infringe on the copyright holders
> exclusive rights-- hence the FSF are free to dictate terms-- terms that
> may include what Microsoft calls "viral" licensing.

Actually, the GPL is perfectly consistent with copyright law.
There are no restrictions on GPL'd material that aren't on
(let's say) a book.  What the GPL does is allow you to do things
that you *couldn't* under copyright law, as long as you comply
with its restrictions (primarily on derivative works.)

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |