Re: [dvd-discuss] You can go swimming, but....

I see the cases as similar because of the authority issue.

How do I become authorized to perform the conduct required to apply a
tatoo (or watch a dvd)?  There is an FA right to bear a tatoo, but there
is a process to make a tatoo that requires legal authorization.
Similarly, there is an FA right to fair use access, and there is a
process to access the content that requires authorization.

The difference is that, in the first case, there will be a documented
legal process that clearly defines how one becomes authorized. In the
case of fair use access to content, however, the process to become
authorized now requires the consent of a private party.

Before the DMCA, a doctrine of law authorized the conduct of fair use
access, to which the copyright holder likely would not have consented.
After the DMCA, the consent of the copyright holder becomes the key to
authorization.

mickeym