Re: [dvd-discuss] You can go swimming, but....

Mickym wrote:
> "State attorneys argued the law, which prohibits tattooing by anyone
> other than a doctor, is a public health issue. The justices upheld
> White's conviction, saying the First Amendment right to have a tattoo is
> a separate issue from the process of tattooing."
>
> How does one argue against that?

You probably don't. I can think of quite a few scenarios where a "right"
is only there under certain provisos. You have a "right" to be a doctor, but
you can only practice as a doctor if you get qualified to do so by certain
institutions.

You have a "right" to drive, but if you want to do so on public highways, you
must have a valid driving licence. Etc.

Public health/safety issues will always infringe a bit on "rights" but
hopefully, under a sensible regime, both can co-exist without excessive
conflict.

( In the UK, tattoo artists don't AFAIK have to be doctors, but if they're not
members of the Guild of Tattooists (or whatever) I suspect no-one would go
near them! )

The question is, does the US tattoo case (above) have any influence on whether
your DVD player has to be approved by the DVDCCA in order to play the DVDs *you
bought* (in the US)?

No public health/safety issues there, surely? :-)
In fact, I'm having trouble seeing any parallels at all between the two!

--

Steve Hosgood                               |
steve@caederus.com                          | "A good plan today is better