RE: [dvd-discuss]2600 DROPS DECSS APPEAL

On 5 Jul 2002 at 15:44, Glendon M. Gross wrote:

From:           	"Glendon M. Gross" <gross@xinetd.ath.cx>
To:             	<dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss]2600 DROPS DECSS APPEAL
Date sent:      	Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:44:14 -0700

> It all seems like very thinly disguised marketing.  The reality is that
> there are very few benefits of upgrading, and
> in inverse proportion to the utility of upgrading, goes the hostility of
> Microsoft's  Anti-piracy mail.

I had to upgrade to Office97 and later 2000 at work because everybody else did.
Personally, I find that Office 95 is a much better product (which is what I
have at home now...if Office2000 could only be set to save as 95 by default It
would be easier.) and since that's what MS uses internally I suspect you are
right - it's all marketting but also a veiled threat.

> So in reality what you have is a dying
> monopoly desperately grasping for revenue in a last ditch attempt to stay
> alive...

THere don't seem to be any signs that it's dying quite yet...although one does
not want to stand next to a beached whale lest it roll over in its death
throws.

>this is the legacy
> of Bill Gates' contribution to "intellectual property rights."  I suspect
> that the DMCA is largely funded by the same monopoly.

Actually No but I'm certain he'd love to add what he can from the DMCA to the
EULA