Re: [dvd-discuss] ABA to Vote on Copyright Term Extension Resolution

Tom wrote:

> there's been an extension in the EU? first time I hear about that. in
> Germany, it's been life+70 for as long as I can remember.

See directive 93/98/EEC[1], which harmonized the term of copyright in
EU to life+70.

In Norway, the term was changed from +50 to +70 on june 23 1995. The
same happened in the UK[2]. From what I understand, other EU countries
had terms ranging from +50 to +80 before the directive was implemented.

[1]
http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=31993L0098&model=guichett

[2]
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19953297_en_1.htm