RE: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

I'm not certain that copyright ever was a serious incentive to create or even
meant as one. It really seems to be a reward for having done so with the hope
that for a small monopoly of limited duration, you might have some freedom and
financial means to assist in creating more works. Remember the first time you
do something for publication , it's all on your own time and money (or
somebodys). Not everybody can write a short story. Few can write a novel.
Having demonstrated that you can do it once, maybe the devils bargain was to
see if you can do it again with a little encouragement. That seems to promote
progress rather than the granting copyright for something already done. It's
the hope for what might be created balanced against the reward for what has
been.