Re: [dvd-discuss] Rhapsody in Blue and the death of Jazz

On 1 Jun 2002 at 23:18, Ernest Miller wrote:

Date sent:      	Sat, 01 Jun 2002 23:18:48 -0400
From:           	Ernest Miller <ernest.miller@aya.yale.edu>
To:             	dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
Subject:        	Re: [dvd-discuss] Rhapsody in Blue and the death of Jazz

> Oh, please.  Don't give me bullshit about an "excluded middle."

Well, that's what a statement such as "Should we abandon copyright entirely?"
is. Abandoning it is an extreme act that I don't recall anybody advocating
here. The question is what BOUNDS should be place upon it. History has shown
that there are many middle grounds that are viable.

>Even if
> you believe that copyright law is subject to the First Amendment,

Look at the Scientology cases and tell me if copyright is not being used to
stifle speech because it is critical. Copyright MUST be subjugated to the needs
of the First Amendment. One cannot have freedom of speech if anything one
writes, copies, parodies gets one slapped with a copyright infringement suit.
That's a chilling effect.

(BTW look at the Scientology cases. They are claiming copyright protection for
things that are written but NOT published (i.e., made available to the
public.). At best they should be "trade secrets")

>it is
> hard to see how a compulsory license violates the First Amendment.

Compulsory....that's a strong word. It rather takes the "free" out of "free
market"...in the case of music, another middle ground would be to set limits on
the commercial use such that if the "revenue" is below a certain level or uses
less than some amount (e.g., jazz improv.) it's beneath notice.

> anything, a compulsory license for reasonable fees (in addition to the
> protections of Fair Use and First Sale) seems the most friendly sort of
> copyright law you could have.  What the heck would you propose that
> would still count as "copyright" but would be even more First Amendment
> friendly?

Where copyright involves significant commercial value not the nickel and dime
variety ASSCAP desires. What ASCAP, MPAA, RIAA etc all desire is a perpetual
steady income of nickel and dimes. You sang "Happy Birthday" give us your
nickel. Hey...you found out that you used ten bars of  Britney SPears latest
tune in your jazz improv the other night..that's infringment but we'll let you
off for $100 and if you want to license those 10 bars we can do that too. We'll
give you a great deal. You can play them 150 times for $65. That's another
chilling effect.

The point is that there are alternatives to abondoning copyright even if one
does NOT agree that compulsary licensing is a desirable solution.