Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 21:26, microlenz@earthlink.net wrote:

> That's actually quite an incredible proposal. By basing it upon actuarial
> tables, Jefferson is proposing a formula for not just the copyright of his time
> but others as well. If the argument that copyright terms need to be extended as
> authors live longer AND people have longer lifetimes that the work is still of
> some use later in their lives, then basing the term upon actuarial tables and
> setting some statistical confidence for when a sufficient number should have
> achieved that. This is an incredible statement involving the use of statistics
> well in advance of his day but also a statement of social engineering of a
> dynamic population.

Yes, and the First Congress chose to reject it even in the face
of Jefferson's not inconsiderable intellect and rhetorical
brilliance.  Instead, please note, they chose a limit enough
shorter than that actuarial number that it ensured that works
would fall into the public domain while still of value to their
creator (and presumably others as well.)

--
| May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, |
|  the strength to change the things I cannot accept, and the   |