[dvd-discuss] OT: Copyright on ingredient list?

Sort of offtopic, but it’s amazing how the more of this you pay attention
to, the more you see.

I was drinking a can of Diet Coke® yesterday, and noticed that “near” the
ingredient list was a copyright notice.  (©1997).  It was perpendicular to
the ingredients, so may not have been referring to them, but that’s what it
seemed to be notifying.  My can of Pepsi®, on the other hand, had some
trademark notices, but no copyright notice.

I wonder what Coke is trying to protect, and why they are bothering.  If I
were to manufacture a cola with the same ranking of ingredients (and
therefore the same ingredient list), would they try to sue me for
infringement?  Or do I have to invoke a fair use defense in order to state,
“Diet Coke contains Aspartame”?  Bizarre.

David Kroll