Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

It would be nice if we could get them to dole out penalties for inflated
earnings and flakey accounting too.

Ron Gustavson <rongusss@attbi.com>
05/30/2002 07:51 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss

        To:     dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

On Thu, 30 May 2002 08:53:20 -0700, "Michael A Rolenz"
<Michael.A.Rolenz@aero.org> wrote:

>I agree with you there. The problem is that by calling copyright, patent,

>trademark "INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY" rather than "holding a CPT", a lot of
>people have begun to think that they have the attributes of real and
>personal property which it does not. Possession of a CPT does not mean
>that you and your heirs hold the rights to it ad infinitum. That's why
the
>silver tongued Jack is so persuasive in COngres.
>IN some sense anytime somebody debates this and uses the phrase
>"intellectual property" or lets their opponent use it unchallenged they
>lose the debate.

With Hollywood's emphasis on options--a six year option on someone's
life story; a three year option on a new play--perhaps the SEC is a more
appropriate arbiter of IP rights than the LOC.

7607 6FA2 6485 3707  42D1 99AD 7E20 52FD