Re: [dvd-discuss] Eldred Amicus

I don't think there is a definition but I think it's a matter of complexity and
choice...or to put it in other terms...specificity and generality. The
expression involves a distinct set of choices for works, musical notes,
functional decompostion. It is specific. Millions of monkeys typing for
millions of years probably cannot reproduce Tolstoy's War and piece. And even
if they could the reconstruct 50% of it the resulting work would not be
intelligible by anyone. Idea are general expression and can be expressed in
many different ways but also in few words. The difference is that a large
enough set of choices of specific words and phrases  become expression but
ideas do not depend upon specifics...I realize this is philosophical but
expression vs idea is a philosophical question.

Part of the problem with copyright is that it is only the expressions that are
large enough that probabilistically they are unique should be the ones that are
copyrighted. But look at Adrian Brilliant. What he copyrights is so short that
probably dozens of people have come up with similar expressions but they do not
have Adrian Brilliant's ego about copyrighting them