Re: [dvd-discuss] A good use of circumvention

That's what I understood as well

"According to a Birmingham-based Islamic news agency,
which obtained the film of bin Laden, it was passed to
one of its journalists by a Pakistani intelligence official
who said the "new" segment had been filmed in March.

The tape arrived in Britain on an encrypted CD-Rom and
was decoded by the agency last week."

"Agency" refers to the news agency. Hence, my somewhat tongue-in-cheek,
somewhat sarcastic response. Technically, the works on that CDROM are the
intellectual property of Osama Bin Laden. Technically the CDROM was
encrypted to provide access control. Technically they circumvented the
access control. Technically, they are not a governement agency. That's a
better technical case against them under the DMCA than the MPAA had
against Corley. Mickey points out ANOTHER flaw in the DMCA - news services
are not included in the exemptions only the government.

mickey <mickeym@mindspring.com>
05/21/2002 12:43 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss