RE: [dvd-discuss]Does software really satisfy the requriments for Copyright?

On 15 May 2002 at 15:34, Richard Hartman wrote:

From:           	Richard Hartman <hartman@onetouch.com>
To:             	"'dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu'" <dvd-
discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu>
Subject:        	RE: [dvd-discuss]Does software really satisfy the requriments
for
 	Copyright?
Date sent:      	Wed, 15 May 2002 15:34:37 -0700

YOu can patent hybrids but not plants discovered in nature. Discoveries have
never been patentable before.

>Drug
> companies are being granted patents on gene sequences _that_
> _come_from_nature_.

And could not until recently now did they? Just as copyright wasn't for 120yrs
until recently. Pamela Samuelson calls 1998 the "Great Intellectual Property
Grab of 1998". A patent on a gene sequence is a patent upon facts. Facts cannot
be patented. THEREFORE there can be no patent upon a gene sequence. Q.E.D.
Using a patent monopoly to encourage research is a perversion of patents and
research both.

> What are the grounds again that algorithms
> are not patentable?  (and for gosh sake ... if you can patent
> a "business process" why the h#$@ can't you patent an algorithm?!?!?)

Not until recently you could not patent a business method. What is a busines
method? Procedures? A way of doing things. And why should you be able to
do so? MORE nonsense patents bought by special interests.

Hey an algorithm is just a way of manipulating bits.  It provides no progress
in of itself. Look at it this way. The COoley Tukey FFT algorithm says nothing
more than "Hey. Don't add and multply the numbers THIS way do it that way so
you don't have to compute all those extra terms that cancel or combine" I
really can't see the rational for providing a monopoly or how one can enforce
it.

In other words (N-1)*M = NM-M is an algorithm for doing FAST multiplication. Is
it patentable? Why should repeated appliation of it be?

> > Pragmatically there is no reason to patent algorithms either.
> > They are
> > merely clever ways to manipulate bits.
>
> Pragmatically there is no reason to patent devices either,
> they are merely clever ways to manipulate matter ...

That's called the fallacy of the excluded middle. THere is a big difference
between the manipulation of a bit which has NO physical existance vs bulk
matter which does. The electrons in the computer are only a representation of
the bits.

> > Do you allow
> > someone to
> > patent generalizations of specific algorithms?
>
> Is the generalization obvious or non-obvious ;-)

Hopefully useful....It comes as no surprise to me that FFTs can be done over
Galois fields since C and G are both fields. Nice exercises but not much of a
generalization.

> >Does that mean
> > that the
> > first one patented infringes upon the generalization? How much of a
> > generalization does it have to be? (e.g., Generalization of binary
> > algorithm to general Galois Field?)
>
> Unified Field Theory?

Can't patent laws of physics or their representations.