Re: [dvd-discuss] Federal Judge Says Videogames Not Speech

The ruling seems reasonable...the argumentation less so....I DON"T find
that video game have more in common with a boardgame or roll playing game
(I don't remember any grossly gory statements from our DMs when characters
got ofted.). But that's not the reason for not invoking the FA. Certainly
as an adult, I enjoy FA rights but minors do not enjoy total rights.
(e.g., seeing R NC-17 or X rated films). I don't seem much difference
between watching Friday the 13th and playing the video game. The doctrine
of In loco parentis (Sp?) is being invoked....there is nothing that says
that parents can't let their children play all the violent sexual games
they want - provided they agree and want to personally overrule the state
in the matter.

Although I'd take Joust over TombRaider anyday!

What is the second ruling?

Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@realmeasures.dyndns.org>
04/30/02 12:04 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss