Re: [dvd-discuss] ``irreparable damage to my client''

'Twas brillig when Ron Gustavson scrobe:
>The question is what constitutes an "unauthorized copy of a
>work"...having distributed it on USENET she now can't claim that any
>copy is unauthorized. She might have a cause of action if someone were
>to pick up a bunch of stories from that newsgroup, including hers, and
>publish a book of them. But sending it out on USENET means that she is
>granting permission to make and distribute copies. Furthermore, in
>some sense using USENET forms a type of contract. In consideration for
>giving her distribution of her work at no cost to her, others used
>their servers, comm. lines, and time (moderators and system
>administrators) as consideration. Contract fulfilled.

I don't know that contract is the best way to describe this
transaction.  I think it's more likely that some form of implied, non-
exclusive license is created by virtue of posting to Usenet.  But it
may not follow that the implied license extends to republishing Usenet
content on the web.