Re: [dvd-discuss] NYTimes.com Article: Google Runs Into Copyright Dispute

I shouldn't be so lazy but I believe the Time is being more nefarious
than is immediately obvious. I think you run into trouble if you try to
simply cut and paste the link yourself. My guess if that it is part of
the scheme of forcing people to register and have cookies activated in
order to read, even though it is free. That way they could block "do it
yourself" links while enabling their advertisement enhanced links to
work. As I mentioned at the start I'm too lazy to undertake this
experiment today. The experiment would involve having two different
accounts and passing the "deep link" between them to see if it works as
expected. If they are just exchanging convenience for an ad, i.e. the
experiment shows that deep links are not inhibited, then I apologize for
my jeremiad. I just recall there being problems with links to the Times
which might be completely explained by their system of registration
(which is impediment enough).