Re: [dvd-discuss]Joe Sixpack on Encryption-My neighbor's comments on it

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 10:25:16PM -0600, Charles Ballowe wrote:
> to the hardware store to get some keys copied and a guy in the checkout
> line asked about it -- I explained that it decrypts DVDs and he responded
> something like "So, you're a hacker or something".. he didn't seem to view
> it as a bad thing.

most people don't, surprisingly. I often explain my job as being "the
one who breaks into our systems before the bad guys do" and rarely get
more than a nod or "I see". I have yet to be told that breaking into
computers is a bad thing in general. put into the right context, every
I've met so far immediatly "gets it". and without knowing the terms or
anything about computers, they already know the difference between
black and whitehats. :)

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/D88D35A6 2001-11-14 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>