Re: [dvd-discuss] 2001 Best year ever for movies

Hmmm...De Vany is at UC Irvine and consults with the Motion Picture
industry and he has a paper showing that the Sherman AntiTrust act
doesn't apply to movies or shouldn't have 50 yrs ago My skeptics
meter jumped a couple of points. Can't say I've read any of the
papers just glanced at them. I'll agree that it isn't a Gaussian
world (and even Galton never claimed so. He merely stated that the
Gaussian 1 or 2 sigma fit a large number of situations). the problem
has been with the tail and I'll agree with De Vany on that Now
fitting the tail of distribution from statistical data is pretty
difficult but Im skeptical of accepting the conclusions for such a
fit... More sophisticated mathematics than P&L but the same problem-
make the assumptions so the model can be made to do something but
that something doesn't really justify applying the conclusions as
"scientifically proven" It's interesting that.He speaks a lot
about complex revenue dynamics and information cascades but concludes
in one paper that
"The audience makes a movie a hit and no amount of \star power" or
marketing can alter that. The real star is the movie. "

Harry Cohn (founder and president of Columbia) may have had the best
approach - If he didn't twitch in the seat while watching a movie he
know
it was going to be a hit.