RE: [dvd-discuss] Blizzard / Battlenet FAQ

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Michael A Rolenz wrote:

> They still might have a theft of service argument because the the clones
> are taking "service" away from the non clones...not saying that I'd buy it
> but it may be their "legal theory" to try to use as a club over somepeople
> who were smarter than they.

This is bullshit..

If someone gives out, say, bar code scanners free to many people, where
the software for those scanners connects the barcodes to their site for
(say) UPC and other lookups.

Then, assuming no prior contractual restrictions. (Are 'clickwrap
licenses' contracts?)

There's no way you can construe it as theft of service for me to set up a
clone UPC code database and clone software that the scanners can use.

Scott