Re: [dvd-discuss] 2001 Best year ever for movies

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 11:03 am, you wrote:
> Which also makes it sooooo hard to believe in all the rhetoric regarding
> piracy.
>

> mickey <mickeym@mindspring.com>
> Sent by: owner-dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
> 03/05/02 09:04 PM
> Please respond to dvd-discuss
>

>         To:     dvd-discuss@eon.law.harvard.edu
>         cc:
>         Subject:        [dvd-discuss] 2001 Best year ever for movies

>  >"This is a worldwide phenomenon for us, where admissions are going up
>
> during a time of economic
>
>  >challenge," he said. Valenti called last year the "greatest box office
>
> year in film history," with total receipts
>
>  >of $8.41 billion. A record 20 films reached the $100 million mark,
>
> with five reaching $200 million.
>
>  >The average cost to make and market films from major film studios
>
> decreased 4 percent last year to $78.7
>
>  >million. That's an average of $47.7 million to produce a movie and $31
>
> million for prints and advertising,
>
>  >Valenti said.
>
> How many films did the major film studios make in 2001? By the "two out
> of ten" guide,  around 100?
>
> mickeym

How about 10 of the top 50 in the Rental market as of Dec 23 2001:

 Title			Days Out	Rental $ to Date	Box Office Revenues (domestic only)

Rush Hour 2		12		27.8M		226.1M
Pearl Harbour		19		10.36M		198.5M
The Princess Diaries	5		9.26M		108.1M
Jurassic Park 3		12		9.23M		181.2M
Planet of the Apes	33		7.9M		179.6M
Grinch that stole Xmas	33		6.18M		260M
Tomb Raider		40		3.35M		131.1M
Shrek			51		1.28M		267.7M
The Mummy Returns	82		0.49M		202M
Spy Kids		96		0.21M		112.7M

Maybe the formatting won't get too screwed.

The "Days out" column is how many days  since release on Video(DVD&VHS).
"Rental $ to date" is the amount made on rentals so far . How they figure
that I don't know, I assume it's a educated guess based on a poll of
retailers. No one has ever called me. :-) The "Box Office Revenues is what I
assume to domestic only. I haven't tried to find global box office figures
yet. Keep in mind that this is just the top 50 renters as of Dec 23 2001 that
made over 100M in box office revenue. If you changed that to 50M you would
get about 10 more. I would have to go back  to at least May 2001 to see if
there are 10 more 100M movies but I suspect that there are. There are 100's
of movies released that have box office grosses of 10-90M most are cheaply
made B and C Action and Horror movies that more than make back there money
worldwide. I think it's the Hollywood accounting that is most of the problem
with movies "MAKING" money. Also note that 4 of these 10 made 200M+. All of
the biggest movies of the year almost always get released between Oct. and
Dec.

Ronald