Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

It also matches a lot of contracts I have seen, explicitly saying that you
have right to a backup, but all backups must be destroyed or
transferred when the product is transferred.

let's go to something less clear:
what about when there is no original copy?
I pay to download it, I would think I can sell whatever I downloaded on CD
or whatever if I delete my copies... but what about....

I record something from TV and sell it.  Is this legal?  Well I got my
"first sale" I guess when I watched it.  How can I say I "own a copy" of
it, when there was no particular number of copies produced.  On the other
hand, hoe can anyone yell at me for distributing something that they mass
distributed for free.

My feeling is this should be legal, but there would be very little market
for it if it cost any significant amount, because someone else would have
recorded it too.  I am sure somehow that certain people wouldn't like
this. -- but then, I don't understand why napster gets in trouble even
though I can fairly easily and legally record the same music off the
radio!

 -- noah silva