Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

> The problem is that the subtitles are themselves copyrighted.  It would be
> the equivalent of - you send a book to me in English - I print a Spanish
> translation between the lines and send it back to you.  The Spanish
> translation would be a derivative work.  Now it is legal to have someone
> translate a copyrighted work for some purposes ... but not for general sale
> to the public.

Well if you have seperate transactions with each person, then I would
think it's private, even if it is offered to the public at large.

Let's say I am a book translator.  If three people ask me to translate the
book, and I save it from the first time and give it to the second two
people, is that then public?

I think especially with patches, you need to own the original, and there
isn't much they could say.

 -- noah silva