Re: [dvd-discuss] Slightly OT - Japanese copyrights

By the way, this could be made easier with electronic media.  I'll use the
example of a VCD.  Copy the .DAT (MPEG VIDEO) file to your hard
disk.  Edit it to add the subtitles.  Do a diff against the original to
produce a patch.  Just sell your patch.  You could sell it with or without
the original video.  You aren't trafficing in modified videos then, just
the difference between the video and the subtitled version.  Even if the
file is rather large, I am sure it would still be small enough to fit on a
CD.

The end user could apply the patch to the [original] DAT file [on his
CD] and make his own subtitled version.  He could even burn a new VCD by
copying the original but substituting in his new DAT with the subtitles.

I'd like to see someone try to sue me for supplying a .diff file to add
subtitles to something ;)

  -- noah silva