Re: [dvd-discuss] Thoughts on Posner and Landes (was Re: Eldred v. Ashcroft Accepted ...)

Skipping the less than rigorous mathematics or enlightened modelling
PL have some interesting statements on terms. One is what they call
the tracing problem (or the administration) The note that it is hard
to keep track of copyright over long years but that is easily solved
by doing what is done with real estate-register it in the copyright
office. This is not really done under the Berne convention or the
CTEA. (allowing someone to have 5 yrs after publication is ascinine).
That assumption of their analysis is not being met currently
therefore their arguments cannot be used to justify without
reconsideration/derivation/argument anything.

They also state that "the prospect of royalties in one hundred years,
however would have no effect upon author's incentives" That's a
rather damning statement since the constitution charges the monopoly
to the creator with furthering progress. The counter argument that
the holders of the monopolies after death can dispense the profits to
others to create does not hold up under the constitution either.

They also make the statement that "there is a strong argument against
making increases in copyright term retroactive" The DoJ cannot be
selective in their choice of PL. Furthermore, "...no benefit (yet
potentially substantial cost) in perpetuating ownership beyond the
period necessary to enable the author or publisher to recoup the
fixed costs of creating the work"

ALso, in an indirect manner PL actually supports Eldred v Ashcroft.
In disucussing bequests of copyright to heirs, they make the
statement ""this feeling is attenuated with regard to remote
descendants but the fifty year term after death cuts them off"
Clearly PL have not considered that the descendants would get the
terms increased. 50yrs ENDS the problem but 50+20+10+20+.......does
not.

So....PL does not really support the DoJ position except when taken
out of context. When in context the assumptions that PL based their
conclusions upon are not met. PLs conclusions do not support the DoJ
contention but infact reject them.

I might add that they do NOT consider in their analysis is the other
aspect of real estate and that is taxation. If Real property does not
have the taxes paid upon it, the state publically requests the taxes
be paid and if not the property is SOLD to pay those taxes. In the
case of copyright there are no taxes yet the government or citizens
are expected to foot the bill when no body can establish
ownership...Maybe the taxation of intellectual property should be
considered as a revenue generating means but also a way of cleaning
out the NONEXISTANT copyright archives.