Re: [dvd-discuss] Intellectual Property Protection Restoration Act

Other than the title the word "restoration" doesn't even appear in the
bill...

The purposes of this Act are to--

        (1) help eliminate the unfair commercial advantage that States and
their instrumentalities now
        hold in the Federal intellectual property system because of their
ability to obtain protection
        under the United States patent, copyright, and trademark laws
while remaining exempt from
        liability for infringing the rights of others;

        (2) promote technological innovation and artistic creation in
furtherance of the policies
        underlying Federal laws and international treaties relating to
intellectual property;

        (3) reaffirm the availability of prospective relief against State
officials who are violating or
        who threaten to violate Federal intellectual property laws; and

        (4) abrogate State sovereign immunity in cases where States or
their instrumentalities, officers,
        or employees violate the United States Constitution by infringing
Federal intellectual property.

Does anyone understand or know of instances where the States are violating
Federal "Intellectual Property"?

"someone somewhere" <chaos755@hotmail.com>
02/26/02 08:17 AM
Please respond to dvd-discuss