Re: [dvd-discuss] OT: MPAA??

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 07:40 pm, you wrote:
> I know it's not exactly on topic, but, as they are a party in the
> 2600 case, I figure somebody here might know something.
>
> After the recent dealings with ``Goldmember,'' I'm wondering what
> good the MPAA does for motion picture producers these days? Why
> couldn't New Line just withdraw membership and then no longer be
> bound by their guidelines?
>
> -Charlie

	Most of the "good" for the movie makers comes from the fact that a lot
(most/all) newspapers will refuse ads for movies that are not MPAA rated.  If
your movie is rated by the MPAA you can get an ad.
	If you turn back the clock to 1968 - 1975 you will find mainstream movies
with an "X" rating, Midnight Cowboy, A Clockwork Orange, Last Tango in Paris,
ect. These were all advertised in the newspapers as X-Rated movies. But the
MPAA made a mistake, they didn't trademark the ratings so the porno folks
decided to use the "X" rating with out going thru the ratings process. The
first porno movies were just rated "X", then someone rated their's "XX", then
"XXX". Just to show how "BAD" their movies were. Now "XXX" is pretty much the
standard porno movie rating, but the "X" rating got a bad name. The MPAA was
screwed (pun intended) and dropped the "X" rating. Then quickly trademarked
the others. Newspapers soon quit printing ads for "X" rated movies, and
mainstream theaters quit showing "X" rated movies. The rating of Last tango
in Paris, Midnight Cowboy, and A Clockwork Orange suddenly became "R" rated.
Just lately they added "NC-17" to replace the "X" rating.
	Sometimes you will see ads for "arthouse" films advertised as "Not Rated"
but I figure the newspaper "checks 'em out" first.

	Mostly the ratings are useless a studio can get pretty much what they want
even if they have to cut a few seconds here and there. They are basicly a way
to stop the goverment from censoring movies, something the goverment nor the
studios wanted.

After I wrote all that, I don't think I answered your question :-)

	Newline could release the movie unrated but it would cut down on the number
of theaters that would show it and the amount of advertisement they would
get. As well as the number of people willing to take a chance on an unrated
film. Not good for the pocketbook.

Ron