RE: [dvd-discuss] EFF: Security Researchers Drop Scientific Censorship Case

They _believed_ them !??!?

> >The government stated in documents filed with the court in
> >November 2001 that "scientists attempting to study access
> >control technologies" are not subject to the Digital
> >Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Oooh.  Scientists.

What about the rest of the populace, who might just be
doing it as a hobby?  What happens if they manage to break
some fancy-pants encryption algorithm?  Do they get to publish
their results, or do they get their asses tossed in prison
because they aren't "scientists"?

> >"Based on these and other statements from the government
> >and the recording industry, the judge dismissed our case,"
> >noted Princeton Professor Ed Felten. "Although we would
> >have preferred an enforceable court ruling, our research
> >team decided to take the government and industry at their
> >word

never a good idea ...  ya gotta get it in writing (or a
judgement in this case).

Although I have sympathy for all that Felten et al. have
been through, you'd think that if they'd come this far
they could've held out a little longer.

This a black day for the forces of all that is good and
light .......

186,000 mi./sec ... not just a good idea, it's the LAW!