Re: [dvd-discuss] 4 Studios to Issue Films in a High-End Video Format

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:30:40PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Ernest Miller writes:
>
> > Does anybody know anything about the digital rights management scheme used?
> [in SVHS decks]
>
> For various reasons, I'm pretty confident that it is HDCP (5C).
>
> I don't know anything about whether HDCP or CPRM is built into the
> SVHS format itself or only these particular manufacturers' products.

Ernest's post doesn't mention SVHS, that's an analogue format and certainly
doesn't have CPRM built into it. The format in question here is supposedly
digital.

--
http://sites.inka.de/risctaker/DeCSS/

"DVDCCA's statutory right to protect its economically valuable trade secret
is not an interest that is 'more fundamental' than the First Amendment right
to freedom of speech [...] Accordingly, we are compelled to reverse the
preliminary injunction." (California Appeals Court)