Re: [dvd-discuss] Congress could not diminish constitutional rights ...

Thus Spake claus.fischer@clausfischer.com:

>So, here's the vicious circle:

>Congress shifts the responsibility of making sure that the law
>is constitutional to the courts, to avoid looking careless and
>imprudent.

>The courts take a laugh, say that the law cannot be in conflict
>with the constitution since Congress does not have the power to
>enact such a law, ignore the conflict and apply the law.

>Defendents are left in the rain.

I think that just about sums it up....

In reviewing of the laws passed by Congress these days, I get the notion
that the lawmakers approach to making laws is to let the lobbyists tell
them what they want, throw a bunch of nice words together, give it a nice
sounding name (e.g.,Patriot Act. Clean Up the Internet to Protect our
Children from Pornography Act (CUT IT POC FPA))), compromise a bunch of
stuff, pass it with last minute changes and addons (e.g., the RIAA getting
songwriters reclassifed as work for hire employees) and THEN let the
courts sort it all out.

Everybody knows that TRAFFIKING is a bad thing to do. So is CIRCUMVENTION.
So....TRAFFIKING in CIRCUMVENTION must be a really bad thing to do - So
let's put it in the law that it's illegal. Never mind the fact that WE the
People don't have a clue what that means and I'll even give poor Judge
Kaplan the credit that HE didn't know what that meant either and went with
his bias of protecting the sancity of intellectual property form those
hoards of pillaging hackers.

Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com>
01/17/02 04:28 PM
Please respond to dvd-discuss