Re: [dvd-discuss] DMCA replies

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 04:03:47AM -0800, Ville Oksanen wrote:
> If the material in question is clearly violating someone's copyright, ISP
> might get sued based on contributory copyright infringement, if it doesn't
> take the material down. On the other hand if material is related to cracking
> DRM-systems, it should still be legal inside EU as long as EUCD is not
> implemented. And DMCA doesn't really apply in Europe, but if you want to
> visit USA, it would be still good idea not to break it..

but that exactly is my problem. my legal/corporate counsil says it does
apply. no matter how wrong she is, if I don't want to risk even more
trouble (my suggestion that she may be wrong pissed her off quite a
lot) I have to take that as granted.

so, how do I continue to work at an ISP as a security person if the
civil and criminal penalties of the DMCA just might apply to me?

--
http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/D88D35A6 2001-11-14 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>